I have now tried many different cookie dough recipes to suit the icing and some were not so great so I decided to vary them to create my favourite recipe. The recipe makes a great cookie which is quite crunchy and it works with flooded icing.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Ingredients:2 large eggs
100grams icing sugar
100grams white sugar
3 tspns vanilla extract ( don't use vanilla essence - it's not good)
200 grams butter
500 grams flour
1 tsp salt
Instructions:1. Beat the eggs on a high speed electric mixer until pale and fluffy, then add the vanilla extract.
2. Add half of the flour and mix on low speed.
3. Butter should be very soft but not melted. Add this to the flour and egg mixture.
4. Add remaining flour according to consistency of the dough. As it thickens, stop the mixer and finish the mix by hand - it will be easier to tell how thick the mixture will go.
5. The dough should not be too sticky, but also not too dry. Either way it is impossible to work with.
6. One you are happy with the dough place in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours.
7. Roll out dough to desired thickness and use good quality cookie cutters for your shapes.
8. Preheat your oven to 350°F or 176°C.
9. Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes or until they become golden brown. The baking time will depend on the size of your cookie.
10. Let cookies cool to room temperature and decorate!